Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Country Banker

Until Recently
I had always though
The growing of flowers was
Women's work-
Or pleasure.

Which goes to show
How you can
Go a long way
Through life
With your eyes shut.

He's a neighbor of mine,
And out for a stroll
One warm evening
I paused to chat
While he worked
Among his flowers.

"Wouldn't you rather raise
Cattle or horses
Or dogs or guinea pigs
Or something
With life and kick to 'em?"
I asked.
"All that flowers can
Do for you is
To look pretty."

He smiled shyly
And turned to a rosebush
Drenched in red bloom.
"That's not all,"
He replied.
"Flowers will grow for you
And not for themselves."

-John Matter 1932

I came across this as I was lying in bed reading while recovering from pneumonia. As the wind howled outside and snow swept across the ground, it reminded me of Spring and the promise of life that it brings with it. I like how he says that the flowers grow for you and not themselves, in that way they are selfless. It is too bad we can't all be a little more like that. Loving one another and being kind, not so others will be kind to us, but because we should be kind to them.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I have known are few people who are like you describe, "Loving one another and being kind, not so others will be kind to us, but because we should be kind to them."

The first person in my life like that was your mother and the most current one is my husband.